This role is designed to interpret the customer’s technical inquiry and design the most cost-effective end-to-end solution for HVDC installation using PES Power Electronics solutions, with the goal of minimizing the overall cost, and identifying the major (high value) items purchased – from the equipment. The successful candidate will be involved in the development and manufacture of solutions and operations tools. The successful candidate will have proven professional experience and technical expertise in the field of power systems engineering.
- Insulation coordination studies: determination (by simulation) of transient and transient overpressures on equipment and lightning arrester power ratings.
- Network studies: Confirm the correct interaction between the equipment, its control system and the rest of the network.
- Reliability and Availability Studies: Generate comprehensive reliability and availability models for projects and provide reports to the client.
- Losses: Calculate the total losses of the project and inform the client.
- Provide direction and coordinate engineering tasks to meet project/tender requirements.
- Technical responsibility in areas of expertise
- Development and Manufacturing: The development and manufacture of solution tools and processes associated with the engineering activities identified above.
- Actively participate in new developments in HVDC technologies, implement control and protection solutions and create/introduce new analysis techniques and system study tools in order to provide optimal system study solutions.
- Process Improvement: Review and record design processes and develop new or improved processes.
- Enforce engineering discipline and assign processes across all work assignments and adhere to company policies, quality procedures and work instructions (eg through trainings and technical reviews).
- Representing businesses at external events by publishing technical papers
- Use yourself to improve your technical knowledge base and keep abreast of relevant methodologies and technological advancements within the company.
- Support and guide other engineers to increase the team’s technical knowledge and efficiency
- Values: comply with the GE . Values Charter
- Report any incompatibilities or resolve them in a timely manner.
- Identify and assess environmental, health and safety risks in the team area and implement practical measures.
- Lead by example by demonstrating appropriate procedures and effectively monitoring work conditions and behaviours, giving constructive feedback and celebrating effective EHS prevention.
- Actively participate in identifying corrective actions when work is unsafe or when uncontrolled risks are observed.
- Routinely monitor the behavior of others, provide immediate feedback on unsafe behavior, and celebrate accomplishments or safe behaviors.
- Actively and routinely promote to identify imminent risks and situations for their team/teams.
Qualifications / Requirements
Taught with an Engineering degree (or equivalent) including Power Systems and Power Electronics subjects (minimum 2:1) with demonstrated professional experience and technical expertise in Power Systems Engineering preferably in HVDC System Studies.
- Knowledge of grid or cross studies of HVDC / FACTS / Renewable Energy / Inverter based power systems
- Knowledge of system tools like PSCAD, PSS/E, DigSilent, etc.
- Insulation coordination and main equipment characteristics of HVDC
- Experience in using simulation and computer mathematics tools applied in designing the above activities
- General understanding of the characteristics of HVDC valves and their control and protection systems.
- display capacity
- Ability to work to deadlines with high quality and a sense of urgency and delivery
- Good technical communication skills
- A self-motivated, proactive and results-based approach
- Strong problem solving and root cause identification skills
- accurate documentation
- The ability to be a team player and work independently
- A “professional” approach to engineering delivery
- Culture and the right attitude for the first time